Each year the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) makes direct grants to hundreds of nongovernmental organisations worldwide working to advance democratic goals and strengthen democratic institutions.
Each year, NED makes more than 1,600 grants to support the projects of non-governmental groups abroad who are working for democratic goals in more than 90 countries. Grant amounts vary depending on the size and scope of the projects, but the average grant lasts 12 months and is around $50,000.
NED funds only nongovernmental organisations, which may include civic organisations, associations, independent media, and other similar organisations.
NED encourages applications from organisations working in diverse environments including newly established democracies, semi-authoritarian countries, highly repressive societies and countries undergoing democratic transitions.
NED does not make grants to individuals, governmental bodies, or state-supported institutions such as public universities.
NED is interested in proposals from local, independent organisations for nonpartisan programs that seek to:
– Promote and defend human rights and the rule of law
– Support freedom of information and independent media
– Strengthen democratic ideas and values
– Promote accountability and transparency
– Strengthen civil society organizations
– Strengthen democratic political processes and institutions
– Promote civic education
– Support democratic conflict resolution
– Promote freedom of association
– Strengthen a broad-based market economy