The Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation seeks to dramatically improve the lives of people and the world around us through innovative strategies, systems changing approaches, and disrupting technologies. Their goal is to find social entrepreneurs with dynamic ideas and nurture them at the early stages with maximum leverage and total commitment.
Prospects for their portfolio of social enterprises come from a vast field of compelling ideas and dedicated leaders. The DRK Foundation concentrates their selection on the capabilities of the founder/leader, the scalability of the model, and the potential impact of the organisation on the world.
The Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation has an open application process and accept applications year round. Borrowed from their venture capital legacy they find exceptional entrepreneurs, provide them with 3 years of unrestricted capital (totaling $300,000) and provide rigorous on-going support by joining their board of directors for the 3 years and partnering with the leader to help them to build capacity in their organisation and scale their impact.
What The Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation fund:
They look for exceptional entrepreneurs.
They seek out entrepreneurs who exhibit characteristics of extraordinary leadership: vision, intelligence, influence, ambition, discretion and follow-through. Draper Richards Kaplan entrepreneurs have proven track records that demonstrate a full spectrum of competencies.
They look for potential to scale
To affect meaningful change upon the major challenges of our time, we need big solutions to big problems. The DRK Foundation supports social enterprises — non-profit, for-profit and hybrid organisations — that can expand enough to directly benefit a large number of beneficiaries and impart enough momentum to influence broader systems that encumber progress. Scaled organisations act as models to other groups in the sector and have the clout to affect policy, public opinion, and economies.
They look for sustainable impact
The DRK Foundation looks for leveraged solutions that will create lasting positive change. We look for game-changing ideas that create better opportunities and outcomes for the future.
The DRK Foundation funds:
– Leaders tackling important social issues that can make a difference in the lives of many.
– Models that have the likelihood to be able to scale.
– Social enterprises in the early stages of their development where DRK involvement (financial, as a board member and through other support) can make a real difference.
– On average, organisations are 1-3 years old and the leader is prepared to execute an ambitious plan.
– Social enterprises that are national or global in reach and/or social issue.
– Domestic (U.S.) and international organisations.
– We support non-profit, for-profit and hybrid social enterprises.