The Capital of Equality Grants Program has been redesigned to better respond to community needs. $700,000 has been allocated to the 2023 and 2024 grant rounds.
The funding is available across three streams:
- The Connection Fund
- Partnerships and Capacity Building
- LGBTIQ+ Leadership
The Partnership and Capacity Building Stream funds projects that build capacity and sustainability. It will support LGBTIQ+ community organisations in the ACT region. LGBTIQ+ and mainstream (non-LGBTIQ+) organisations looking to improve their service offering are also eligible to apply for funding.
Projects funded under this stream are established in partnership with the Office of LGBTIQ+ Affairs and can run over two years. They will be provided with project support including regular meetings, networking opportunities and other forms of support.
Only not-for-profit organisations can apply for this stream.
- Incorporated and established LGBTIQ+ peer-led organisations can apply for up to $50,000 per year.
- Existing unregistered LGBTIQ+ peer-led groups that are auspiced and have a demonstrated capacity to deliver projects can apply for up to $50,000 per year.
- New and emerging LGBTIQ+ peer-led groups with no previous experience can apply for up to $25,000 per year.
- Mainstream non-for-profit organisations can apply for a grant up to $40,000 per year.
Projects that can be funded
The following is a small selection of capacity building activities that can receive funding through this stream.
- Support to incorporate and register entities
- Training and professional development to support organisation operations
- Projects to establish or expand service offerings
- Research and evidence gathering to support organisational capacity
- Improving capacity for business and strategic planning.
Check if you can apply
Not-for-profit organisations are eligible to apply for this stream, providing they:
- are a community, non-for-profit or peak community body based and operating in the ACT that is an incorporated legal entity under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) or the Associations Incorporation Act 1991 (ACT), or a similar type of organisation
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN), complete the Australian Tax Office’s Statement by a supplier form (those incorporated with no ABN) or an auspice with a current ABN
- are an unregistered group that is LGBTIQ+ run and led, and/or whose services or activities primarily benefit LGBTIQ+ people in the ACT, AND that is auspiced by an eligible organisation
- have current Public Liability Insurance coverage, if applicable
- have satisfactorily acquitted all previous grants provided by the ACT Government (except for current year’s funding), if applicable.
- are registered for Goods and Services Tax (GST), if applicable.