The Northern Territory Government supports the delivery of sport and active recreation services to the community through a suite of grant programs aimed at increasing the number of Territorians who participate in sport and active recreation, and in turn receive physical health, wellbeing, social and community benefits.
The National Selection Grant Program supports the sport and active recreation industry in the Northern Territory and is administered by the Department of Territory Families, Housing and Communities (the Department).
The National Selection Grant Program provides financial support for Territorians selected to represent Australia, at various levels of competition and type of involvement, in recognised international events. The funding provides assistance to the participants in the Excel stage of the continuum as detailed below.
Who can apply
Funding is available to individuals only.
Types of individuals that are eligible to apply for funding include:
• At the time of application, have been residing in the NT for at least 12 months continuously;
• Be a current NT Sports Academy scholarship holder based interstate or overseas;
• Demonstrated evidence of selection to represent Australia in a recognised international sporting competition;
• Be a minimum of 12 years of age at the time of the nominated competition/event.
What can be funded
Funding is provided through four categories. It is important that your application clearly details the funding requested and directly aligns with category and criteria.
Parents/caregivers are required to apply for funding on behalf of applicants aged between 12 to 18 years of age.
• Elite Australian Representation at the pinnacle (every 4 years) international event for that sport (e.g. Olympic / Paralympic Games, World Cup, Commonwealth Games).
• Elite Australian Representation at the major (every 1 or 2 years) international event for that sport (e.g. World Championships).
• Non-Elite Australian Representation at an overseas event.
• Non-Elite Australian Representation at an event held in Australia