The Aboriginal Fishing Trust Fund (AFTF) provides grants and loans for the enhancement, maintenance and protection of Aboriginal cultural fishing as well as for Aboriginal communities to develop businesses associated with fisheries resources throughout NSW.
Who can apply?
To be eligible applicants must be:
– An Aboriginal person, or
– An Aboriginal entity, which includes a family/clan or community organisation, or an Aboriginal owned and run business, or
– Someone acting on behalf of an Aboriginal entity.
Types of projects to be funded?
The AFTF is looking to fund a wide range of projects including (but not limited to) the following:
– Cultural fishing workshops
– Cultural fishing access
– Signage covering local cultural fishing connection
– Stocking of culturally significant fish species
– Fish habitat / invasive species management
– Business administration and technical training
– Broader capacity building
– Commercial fishing operations
– Aquaculture ventures
– Charter fishing, cultural tourism or the post-harvest sector investment
– Research into cultural harvest or impacts on cultural fishing/resources