These grants support employers and peak bodies to run projects to improve literacy and numeracy of Tasmanian workers (paid and volunteers). Projects can include improving all aspects of workplace communication, for example:
• improving the reading, writing and maths skills of employees so they can do their jobs better
• training employees to write work documents in plain English
• training supervisors and managers to support employees with low literacy.
You can apply for a grant if you are:
• an employer operating in Tasmania
• a Tasmanian industry association or peak body
• a consortium of small or micro-businesses
• a registered training organisation (in partnership with Tasmanian employers, industry associations, peak bodies).
This includes public, private and voluntary organisations. All paid, voluntary and self-employed workers are eligible for literacy support under this program.
Applicants can apply for a grant of $5 000 to $50 000 (ex. GST).
What projects will be funded?
For a project to be eligible for funding, it must provide support to employees to improve their reading, writing or maths skills (minimum 50% of the project).
A project may also include the following elements:
• digital literacy for employees with low reading, writing or maths skills
• training for staff about how to work with staff or clients with low reading, writing or maths skills
• development of resources for use within the project
• activities to improve workplace communication (including plain English)
• surveys, consultations, research to determine the literacy needs of employees.